24 // THE NEW GASTROENTEROLOGIST SPRING 2017
What Makes an Excellent
Gastroenterologist? IBD Patient Perspectives
The Patient Governance Committee for Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) Partners: Brian Price,
Susan M. Johnson, Jessica Burris, David Walter, Jennifer E. Dorand, and Nicholas Uzl
We are a group of six adult inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients who serve as the Patient Governance Committee for CCFA
Partners – a patient-powered research
network that assists IBD patients,
researchers, and health care provid-
ers to partner in finding the answers
to questions about patient care and
improving the health and lives of pa-
tients living with these conditions.
To find out more about us, please
visit our website at https://ccfa.med.
unc.edu/ or send an email to info@
The foundation of good quality of
care is the patient/physician relationship, and as patients we understand
that foundation must be based on mutual respect, trust, and communication.
There are a few themes that emerge
when thinking about these salient
Open communication between
patient and physician
Perhaps the single most important
quality of a physician is a willingness to
listen. IBD patients often don’t feel like
they are being heard. Starting with a
conversation about the patient’s goals
10. National Quality Measures Clearinghouse.
Available at https://www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.
desirable-attributes-of-a-quality-measure. Accessed March 23, 2017.
11. McGlynn E.A. Med Care. 2003;41(1 Sup-
12. American Gastroenterological Association.
Available at https://www.gastro.org/practice/
March 23, 2017.
13. Melmed G. Y., et al. Inflamm Bowel Dis.
14. Feuerstein J.D., et al. Clin Gastroenterol Hepa-
15. Sapir T., et al. Dig Dis Sci. 2016;61:1862-9.
16. Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America.
IBD Qorus. Available at http://www.ccfa.org/
March 23, 2017.
17. Hou J.K., et al. Gastroenterology.
18. Reddy K.R., et al. Gastroenterology.
19. American Gastroenterological Association.
Available at http://www.gastro.org/practice-man-
pdf. Accessed March 23, 2017.
20. American Gastroenterological Association.
Available at http://www.gastro.org/news_items/
cra-final-rule. Accessed March 23, 2017.
21. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Available at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/
ence_Rpt.pdf. Accessed March 23, 2017.
22. Dahlhamer J.M., et al. MMWR. 2016;65:1166-9.
23. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and
Evaluation. Available at https://aspe.hhs.gov/sys-
Accessed March 23, 2017.
24. Meyer G.S., et al. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012;21:964-8.